Recipe ideas, hints and tips, and general musings........


Recipe ideas, hints and tips, and general musings........

Welcome to 'Diamonds & Dauphinoise'.....a new blog for all you super busy, glamourous, girls about town and yummy mummies alike....who are real foodie floozies at heart, and love to feed and entertain their family and friends, but perhaps don't always have the time or energy to think of ideas!

My aim is to help inspire you all, and reduce the flurry of panic and stress of rushing around your kitchens in your Louboutins...

Get your your partner, your friends and your kids involved. If your kitchen is large enough, why should you be slaving away on your own? The kitchen is the heart of the home, it should be buzzy, vibrant, and happy....just as the dishes that are coming out of it.

If you would like to contact me please feel free to drop me an email: helenmorrisonkitchen@gmail.com

Remember the MOST important ingredient of any meal is LOVE...

I do hope you like my blog... x o x o

Sunday 6 March 2011

Carrot & Coriander Soup

I, like many other brides-to-be have put myself on a strict diet - if there's one day a girl can be the belle of the ball, it is on her wedding day!  I, like many other women, struggle with my weight.  Having transitioned from a carefree young woman who could eat as much as she liked, go to the gym as little as she liked, and still be a size 8/10, to a more curvaceous woman in my late 20's, it took it’s toll on my self-esteem.

I am now taking charge.  Exercising on it's own is simply not enough.
One's diet is fundamental to healthy weight loss.

Winter is a tough time to watch the calories and fat intake.  When it’s cold, grey, damp and miserable, I, a self-confessed ‘foodie floozy’, usually sought solace in the usual winter comforts, Sunday roasts with the works, pasta dishes, baked potatoes, stews with mash, toad in the hole, sausages, fondue, bread…..(oh how I miss bread….).

One of the things I've taken to doing is making large vats of varying vegetable soups.  I can easily make a soup one morning, leave it on the hob, and heat it up and have it for a few days.  Please note, that soups, like many other things, only get better with age.

Here is the carrot and coriander soup that I made the other day......(needless to say I did not eat the bread that you spy in the picture......but I might have had a riot on my hands if I'd attempted to give Alex a bowl of soup on it's own!).  This was pretty cheap to make as I already had the stock cubes and herbs in the store cupboard, and the carrots, onions, and fresh herbs cost under £5!

Here's what I used:

1 kg carrots - peeled, topped and tailed, roughly chopped into similar sizes
2 onions - finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
2 bay leaves
1 litre of vegetable stock
good seasoning with salt & white pepper
fresh coriander
3 tsp dried coriander

Heat the onions and garlic gently in olive oil over a gentle to medium heat.  Do not brown.  We want to bring out the natural sugars in the onion and garlic, and we can only achieve this with slow cooking. 

Once this looks translucent and is verging on the caramelised stage, add the carrots.  Cook the carrots a little with the onions and garlic, this will encourage some of the carrots natural sugars to be released also.

Add the dried coriander.  I always find that cooking spices helps to bring out depth of the flavour, as opposed to sprinkling them when the stock has been added.

Add the vegetable stock.
Add the bay leaves.
Bring to the boil. 

Transfer the pot to smallest ring on your hob, and turn the heat right down and simmer gently for around an hour.
(I actually went to the gym, and came back, and it was perfectly fine).

Take the soup off the heat. 
Now this is important, let the soup cool a little, before blending with a hand held blender stick.

I once made the mistake of trying to blend soup when it was still scalding hot.  I looked at my BlackBerry for what must have been no more than a millisecond, and before I knew it, molten hot butternut squash soup sprayed all over a beautiful silk Alberta Ferretti blouse, and of course every conceivable surface within a metre radius!  Lesson learned.

Yes, accidents happen, but darlings for the purposes of damage limitation, let's not burn ourselves, or damage clothes as well....!

Now is the time to check for seasoning.  Remember you can always add, but you can never take away, (how ironic - I really should have thought of that when consuming all those Singapore noodles over the last 29 years). 

Carrots and onions are sweet, and for me, soup should be savoury.  I like the hum of spicy white pepper, and I think it compliments the gentle heat of the coriander; however, you should just season to your liking.  You could also add a few chilli flakes if that takes your fancy.

Serve this hearty, winter warming soup, with a dollop of 0% fat Greek yoghurt and a sprinkling of fresh coriander and parsley.....oh and some warm, crusty French bread for those who are not yet at war with carbs.

Give yourself a big pat on the back....xoxo....

1 comment:

  1. oooh this sounds lovely - i am such a fan of carrots and get them fresh and straight from the mountains from an organic farmer - he always brings too many and we cannot use them all but here is a great way - thanks helen! xxx

    ReplyDelete