Recipe ideas, hints and tips, and general musings........


Recipe ideas, hints and tips, and general musings........

Welcome to 'Diamonds & Dauphinoise'.....a new blog for all you super busy, glamourous, girls about town and yummy mummies alike....who are real foodie floozies at heart, and love to feed and entertain their family and friends, but perhaps don't always have the time or energy to think of ideas!

My aim is to help inspire you all, and reduce the flurry of panic and stress of rushing around your kitchens in your Louboutins...

Get your your partner, your friends and your kids involved. If your kitchen is large enough, why should you be slaving away on your own? The kitchen is the heart of the home, it should be buzzy, vibrant, and happy....just as the dishes that are coming out of it.

If you would like to contact me please feel free to drop me an email: helenmorrisonkitchen@gmail.com

Remember the MOST important ingredient of any meal is LOVE...

I do hope you like my blog... x o x o

Sunday 20 March 2011

A Lovely Little Crayfish Cocktail

My father used to make prawn cocktail served in half an avocado as a treat on weekends.  He taught me how to make Marie Rose sauce from scratch, and contrary to common belief it does not involve ketchup and mayonnaise! 

Daddy used single cream, although I use half fat single cream, and quite happily nobody can tell the difference.  I also like to use crayfish tails as an alternative to prawns – I think they’re slightly meatier, like mini lobster tails if you will, and I think the twist brings the 70’s classic up to date.

This salad is super super easy, takes a matter of minutes, and if that wasn't appealing enough, it is also man and child friendly.

Here’s what I used:

Little gem lettuce
Ripe avocado
Cucumber
Lemons
180g pot of cooked crayfish tails
170ml (the small pot on the supermarket shelves) of half fat single cream
1 tbsp of tomato puree
5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
4 dashes of Tabasco
Juice of half a lemon
A few twists of black pepper and a pinch of salt

Mix the wet ingredients together in a small bowl with a mini whisk or a fork, until combined.  Have a little taste, if you would like it a little spicier add more Tabasco or more Worcestershire sauce.  If it needs more lemon juice add more lemon juice, the same for seasoning.  The beauty of making your own sauce is you can make it to YOUR own taste.

Do not over whisk the sauce, as a lighter sauce is much more appealing than a thick, gloopy sauce like its lesser mayonnaise and ketchup counterparts.

Now assemble the salad, remembering that the bright colours are what make this dish look so appetising.  I like the greens at the bottom and the bright jewel like colours of the crayfish scattered over the top, with the Marie Rose sauce drizzled over.  Not too much now – remember you can always add, but you can never take away.

Serve with fresh granary bread, a wedge of lemon.....

and of course….with love….xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Sounds deliciously simple helen! Unfortunately I don't think we get crayfish tails here - I will have a look when I go to the supermarket tomorrow! otherwise will use prawns - I was always a big fan of prawn cocktail when i was a kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is that simple darling! Don't worry if you don't have crayfish, this is just my preference, but every dish is open to interpretation! Let me know how it goes....xxxx

    ReplyDelete